Symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms can cause significant problems at home, work or other important areas of life.
For many, symptoms can be triggered by a loud noise, a particular image or a distinct smell that reminds them of the traumatic event; for others, symptoms may appear, seemingly, out of the blue.
Common symptoms of PTSD include:
- Feelings of stress or fear when reminded of the trauma
- Re-living the event in the form of a flashback
- Nightmares of the event or other fears
- Avoidance of situations that are associated with the trauma
- Feeling detached or emotionally numb
- Difficulty concentrating and being easily startled
- Out-of-control anger or violence
- Constantly on alert for danger (hypervigilance)